DIN rail Arc-Fault Detection Device (AFDD)
Part of 9 Series
Mitigates the risk of electrical fires caused by electrical arcs resulting from faulty or worn electrical appliances and circuits.
FeaturesArc faults are a common cause of domestic and building electrical fires. Electrical arcs can result from, to name just a few examples, damaged wires in a bedroom lamp, pinched leads and worn electrical insulation. Arc temperatures can exceed 5500C (10 000F) and may ignite fires when they come into contact with combustible materials.
An Arc-Fault Detection Device (AFDD) detects fault-related electrical arcs and breaks the circuit. At the same time it is tolerant to electrical arcs caused by the normal operation of electrical devices such as switches, brushed motors and the plugging and unplugging of devices. In some countries, including the USA and Canada, where AFDD is known as an arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) protection is a requirement.
The DIN rail Acti9 iARC module:
- Continuously monitors circuits for fault-related electrical arcs. Upon detection of such arcs, it breaks the circuit
- Selectively distinguishes between harmless arcs that occur during normal operation of a switch, plug or motor and potentially dangerous arcs that occur in faulty equipment or cabling
- Is easy to fit directly into almost any DIN rail distribution board
- Is manufactured with high quality materials and is carefully engineered to provide optimal protection and functionality while remaining cost effective.
Please note: miniature circuit breakers (MCBs), residual-current circuit breakers (RCCBs) and residual-current circuit breakers with overcurrent protection (RCBOs) alone DO NOT provide protection against arc faults. For full protection, they must be used in conjunction with an AFDD/AFCI module.
BenefitsThe Acti9 iARC DIN rail module mitigates the risk of electrical fires caused by electrical arcs resulting from faulty or worn electrical appliances and circuits. Typically, it protects against faults caused by, but not limited to, the following:
- Worn or aging cabling
- Pinched conductors in earthed metallic cases
- Pinched extension cables trapped by doors
- Plugs being repeatedly removed by pulling the cable rather than the plug, thus causing the insulation to fail
- Rodent damage to cable insulation
- Damage caused by cables being exposed to sunlight (UV)
- Damage caused by drilling into walls with hidden electrical cables
- Loose cable connections in wall socket outlets, power strip sockets and junction boxes
- Damage caused by heat, vibration and humidity to wall mounted cables and sockets.
The Acti9 iARC module can be used in DIN rail distribution boards for:
- New building construction of single residence or multi-residence buildings
- Retrofitting existing single residence or multi-residence buildings.
The European installation standard IEC 60364- 4-42, recommends the use of AFDD to protect against arc fault in final circuit:
- in locations with sleeping accommodations (e.g., hotels, nursing homes, bedrooms in homes)
- in locations with risks of fire due to high quantities of flammable materials (e.g., barns, wood-working shops, stores of combustible materials)
- in locations with combustible constructional materials (e.g., wooden buildings)
- in fire propagating structures (e.g. high-rise buildings)
- in locations where, irreplaceable goods are housed (e.g., museums).
iARC must not be installed on circuits requiring a high level of continuity of service.
iARC is not compatible with ATEX régulations.
EcoStruxure™ for Your BusinessEcoStruxure lets you thrive in today's digital world. Make better business decisions with scalable and converged IT/OT solutions. Learn more
Reach UsHave a question, complaint or is there some feedback you’d like to send us to make your experience with Schneider Electric better? Contact an Expert
Frequently Asked QuestionsEasily find and share the answer you are looking for from our online FAQ service Browse FAQ
Need information?Browse our resource section and find the most useful tools and documents for all our products Browse
Energy and sustainability servicesFirst, envision an energy-efficient, cost-effective and sustainable enterprise. Next, discover our energy and sustainability services, including big data management, to turn this vision into your business reality. Browse services
+ Lifecycle ServicesFrom energy and sustainability consulting to optimizing the lifecycle of your assets, we have services to meet your business needs. Discover services