Here’s what more than 2,500 business decision-makers around the world say.Download the report
...with the Facility Hero app in hand! Discover how you can optimize your maintenance efforts today.Learn more
Access tailored services, 24/7 self-service and expert help. Anywhere, anytime, any project.Discover now
Everything you need to know about our IoT technology backbone.Learn more
Schneider Electric Global Website×
Explore our global offerings or select your country from one of our five regions.Global
Découvrez nos offres globales ou sélectionnez votre pays dans l’une de nos cinq régions.
Goals and Symptoms
The following error message is shown when installing SMS V3.3 on a PC with Win XP Service Pack 1 or higher.
ERROR MESSAGE TEXT
Sentinel System Drive Installer Information
Error 1920. Service Sentinel (Sentinel) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
Causes and Fixes
Windows 2003 SP1 and Windows XP SP2 introduce a new technology called Data Execution Prevention (DEP). The installation fails because DEP detects and prevents each service from installing or starting.
Complete one of the following steps:
Disable DEP for all services and programs other than those needed by Windows as follows:
1. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced.
2. Click the 'Settings' button in the 'Performance' area and then click the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab.
3. Click 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only'.
4. Click 'OK'.
5. Restart your computer for changes to take effect.
6. Install sentinel.
- OR -
Disable DEP for all Windows services, processes, and applications as follows:
1. Open the Boot.ini file in the Windows root directory.
2. Search for "/noexecute=" and change it to "/noexecute=AlwaysOff".
3. Restart your computer for changes to take effect.
4. Install sentinel.
Last Revised: 5th June 2008
Applies To: Installation of System Manager Software V3.3
Original Author: EC
All content © 1992-2008 Schneider Electric