Here’s what more than 2,500 business decision-makers around the world say.Download the report
...with the Facility Hero app in hand! Discover how you can optimize your maintenance efforts today.Learn more
Access tailored services, 24/7 self-service and expert help. Anywhere, anytime, any project.Discover now
Everything you need to know about our IoT technology backbone.Learn more
Explore our global offerings or select your country from one of our five regions.Global
Découvrez nos offres globales ou sélectionnez votre pays dans l’une de nos cinq régions.
Goals and Symptoms
When communicating with Modbus protocol, ION Setup has an interface that can be used as Modbus Tester to read/write registers. When connecting to PowerLogic Circuit Monitors such as CM3000 or CM4000, this feature becomes handy to read/write registers which are not already in the default screens. Note that this is not limited to device types that are supported by default, but also for third party devices in which a communication can be established.
Facts and Changes
ION Setup version 3.0.12242.01 was used when this articles was written.
It is assumed the communication connection is already setup in ION Setup (in Network mode a 'site' and 'device' are created). Follow the steps below:
1. On the tool bar click on the stethoscope to open diagnostic window ; or from the menu select Tools > Diagnostics...
2. Go to 'Troubleshooting' tab and open the 'Modbus Tester Interface'.
3. From the drop down menu select the proper option for your application; for the sake of this demonstration 'Read Holding Registers (0x03)' is selected.
4. Input the required parameters and click 'Send'; in this example register 41716, Total Real Energy, which is type Mod10 and size of 4 is used:
Modbus Request Type
The three available selections are:
1. Single Read
2. Polled Read; the user is prompted for polling rate:
3. Polled Read & Log; as the name implies this feature has the capability to log the data. Below is an example of the output file:
Write to Register
Two options available:
1. Preset Single Register (0x06)
2. Preset Multiple Registers (0x10)
After selection and assigning the address, highlight the register and enter the value to write by clicking on 'Set...' and then 'Send':
Sign up for all the latest solutions, offers and best practices straight to your inbox.
We are excited that you have joined the group. You will receive your welcome email soon describing the program and what to expect in the upcoming weeks. Enjoy!