OSHA enforces electrical workplace safety standards outlined in NFPA 70E: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace®. Schneider Electric advocates compliance to NFPA 70E, not only for worker safety, but also equipment productivity. An arc flash accident can render equipment unusable and place the facility in a costly downtime mode.
SolutionsSchneider Electric is a recognized leader in promoting electrical workplace safety and helping companies comply with the requirements of NFPA 70E. Basic compliance is established with a five-step process. We recommend an additional step* to assist the facility owner with fine-tuning the electrical power system.
1. Develop and audit an Electrical Safe Work Practices Policy
2. Conduct an Arc Flash Risk Assessment to determine the present degree of arc flash hazards and apply associated equipment labeling
3. Ensure adequate supplies of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and proper tools
4. Conduct regularly scheduled safety training and audits for all electrical workers
5. Maintain all electrical distribution system components
*Follow Strategies to mitigate and control arc flash hazards, that may include:
- Overcurrent Protective Device Coordination Study
- Upgrade Switchgear with a Virtual Main Relay
- Infrared Viewing Windows
- Remote Racking System
- Wireless Temperature Monitoring System
Value PropositionSchneider Electric Engineering Services has been proactively engaged in electrical workplace safety and compliance since arc flash requirements were first introduced. Many of our engineers are leaders in IEEE, NFPA, and other power system standard-making organizations.
- Over 120 strategically-located professional engineers who are collectively registered in every state to meet state licensing requirements
- Professional engineers who have in-depth knowledge of power distribution and control equipment
- Full-scope NFPA 70E compliance support and solutions
- Standardized methodology to complete arc flash analyses along with uniform reporting standards nationwide
- Arc flash mitigation solutions through a variety of engineering and electrical distribution services