After 1st July 2015, it will not be possible to place on the market or commission transformers not fulfilling these minimum requirements and manufacturers will be fully responsible in applying the law.
After the date of entry into force, manufacturers should not engage in new framework contracts for transformers with energy efficiency specifications below the minimum requirements outlined in the regulation.
Framework contracts signed before 11th June 2014 can go on until the end date, even with deliveries after 1st July 1 2015.
Rational : European Union commitments
The EU is implementing its «20-20-20» program by 2020:
- Reduction of 20 % of greenhouse gases emission
- Reduction of 20% of energy consumption
- Reach 20% from renewable energy in total production
- Power Transformer losses represents about 2.5% of total EU energy consumption
EcoDesign aims for two major objectives on the Transformer product:
- Reduce electrical losses (1 step in 2015/ 2nd step in 2021)
- Clarify and make more visible indication of performance
Efficiency request on medium power transformers for the 1st time.
EcoDesign impact on Transformers
Fluid filled and cast resin Transformers: reduced level of losses for fluid filled distribution and cast resin transformers up to 3150kVA
Medium power and power transformers:
- Level of Peak Efficiency (Mix of load losses and no load losses) for transformers >3150kVA
- No regulation as of today for transformers >3150kVA
- Dry type transformers up to 10MVA 36kV
- Special transformers are not impacted by this regulation
- Significant increase of Equipment cost and weights/dimensions
- Reduction of operational cost (total cost of ownership optimised)