• Shedd Aquarium is currently home to more than 1,500 species, including fish, marine mammals, birds, snakes, amphibians, and insects from all over the world.
• In 2013, the aquarium committed to an ambitious goal of cutting energy consumption in half by 2020. Achieving that goal meant conducting extensive research and analysis to identify problem areas.
Efficiency and Sustainability with EcoStruxure
Apps, Analytics & Services : Building Analytics
Edge Control: BMS, SmartStruxure
Connected Products: SVFT Drives, Turnkey Solar Solution (256kW of solar panels)
• The Schneider Electric Building Management System (BMS) allows Shedd Aquarium to manage everything inside the building from lighting, via life support systems, to HVAC.
• Through detailed mapping of the BMS, Building Analytics evaluates all equipment that’s under the BMS’s control, looks for faults in process, maintenance, and repair, and then prioritizes those based on an energy savings value.
• Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) are used for water, HVAC, as well as for life support systems to control loads.
• Last but not least, a turnkey solar solution with 265KW of solar panels installed on the roof of the Oceanarium generates clean, renewable energy, and reduces energy costs.